Sunday, February 12, 2012

What career did you have after the military?

I'm planning on going to Norwich and getting commissioned as an officer. Although it's still a long time ahead of where I am now to be thinking about life AFTER the military, I am just curious as to what ya'll did after you got out of the military...if you retired that is.What career did you have after the military?I was an Infantry Marine, Honorably Discharged. I got a job in a Prestress Plant and learned how to operate a crane and did that for many years. I also got into maintenance and became a heavy truck mechanic later moving into the auto industry as a master certified Heavy Truck and Auto Tech. When I was discharged, I was 22 years old and no skills, I had to start from scratch learning anything that would pay the bills. I look in retrospect and I think i have done well for myself. I now work for the Department of Veterans Affairs.What career did you have after the military?
infantry hooah!What career did you have after the military?I have been in the investment management field for over 18 years after 20 in the Army. I like my second carer.



I read just before my Army retirement that most retirees are out of their initial job after retirement after one year. That was the case for me. My final Army assignment was as a contracting officer, and I went to work for Sikorsky Aircraft as a contract manager. I hated the work and quit after one year.



The lesson I learned was the traits you developed while in the military have a big impact on your traits in a civilian career after your military time is up. Make the most of it.What career did you have after the military?
Industrial maintenance technician. You need to look in your specific area after you get out. Not all (very little really) of your military experiences will be relevant in the civilian sector. I no longer work on tanks, cannon or optics - far from it. The company was looking for the ability to adapt and learn new technology.

Mark - that really is a sad commentary on the U.S. military. I hear you about the politics - that is no fun to experience but you will (have) find it anywhere.What career did you have after the military?i spent 10 years in the navy and couldnt get advanced (politics) so they discharged me with high-year-tenure....(another stupid political policy)



i spent another 10 years in the civilian world doing similar work until they fired me, they thought it fun to give me 0.10 cents an hour raise....about 1% for the entire year



im one step away from living in a homeless shelter



...isnt it fun to be an american?What career did you have after the military?
Retired US Army, and I'm a truck driver. I just enjoy driving and seeing new places. I do have a Master's in history that I earned while in the service, but that experience convinced me that I wasn't cut out for the academic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment